Foods that cause cellulite: are there foods that act in favour of cellulite? Yes, there are foods that favour cellulite, so it is best to avoid them.
What cellulite is and why some foods can favour it.
Cellulite known as edematous fibrosclerotic panciculopathy is an inflammatory disease that afflicts many women.
It does not depend only on weight, but also on:
- Hereditary genetic factors (race, gender and family history)
- Hormonal factors (oestrogens)
In other words, cellulite is seen when:
- Adipose connective tissue is altered
- Cellular hypertrophy is formed
- There is an accumulation of fluids and metabolic toxins in the interstitial spaces
- Manifests itself with the typical appearance of orange peel skin
- Develops due to various types of cause
According to the most accredited theories, the main factors that determine the formation of cellulite or aggravate it are:
- Poor or insufficient hydration, with water retention and the accumulation of waste materials
- Absence of correct nutrition and physical exercise
Foods that cause cellulite: drink plenty of water
Water retention is one of the most common and widespread causes of cellulite; this is because many women tend to drink little.
You should therefore start drinking more.
- To expel toxins
- Allows the tissues to remain hydrated and elastic
- “Cleans” the body’s organs
As a substitute for, or in combination with water, it is also good to drink:
- Green tea
- Draining and purifying herbal teas
- Fruit juices, like pineapple or grapefruit, strictly free of added sugars
A useful tip is to drink a glass of lukewarm water with lemon juice in the morning just after waking up and on an empty stomach.
Foods that cause cellulite include alcohol and spirits, which should therefore be limited, or better still eliminated.
Foods that cause cellulite: balanced diet
Nutrition affects correct functioning of the metabolism.
For example, thinking of a way of combating cellulite, connective tissues could be strengthened by eating foods containing:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
These are indispensable for skin health.
Foods that cause cellulite: they should be eliminated from the diet
Just as there are friendly foods, there are foods that do nothing but worsen cellulite; these foods, which should be drastically reduced or eliminated from the diet, include:
- Very fatty foods
- Pre-cooked foods
- Foods rich in salt or sugars
- Preserved foods (in cans, in brine or in salt water)
- Cured meats
- Cold cuts
- Seasoned cheeses
- Savoury snacks
Foods that can help get rid of cellulite: you can eat as much as you like of:
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables
- Whole foods
- Fish, especially blue fish rich in essential fatty acids like Omega 3.
Foods that cause cellulite: cooking food
Methods of cooking can also have an effect on the correct absorption of foods and the metabolism of fats.
- Fried food
- Sauteed food
Opt for low-fat cooking using, for example, the following methods:
- Baked in paper
- Steamed or boiled
Foods that cause cellulite: fats
Unsaturated fats like extra virgin olive oil are preferable to saturated fats; they should be used for flavouring instead of:
- Pancetta (bacon)
Foods that cause cellulite: sugars
An eye should also be kept on the consumption of sugars, limiting sweet foods, complex carbohydrates and avoiding pre-packed sugary drinks.
Foods that cause cellulite: foods not recommended
Salt, which deserves a separate mention. Sodium encourages the inflammation of adipose tissue, which results in water retention and swelling; therefore, it is advisable to:
- Lower salt consumption
- Learn how to consume lower amounts
- Take some useful precautions to lower the absorption of sodium from foods
- Start to flavour dishes with salt substitutes, such as fresh flavourings, herbs and kitchen spices.
Salt is one of the factors that increases retention of water by the body. For this reason, it is important to follow a diet of foods with diuretic properties, avoiding those which, like salt, encourage water retention.
Some simple precautions:
- Do not add salt to food
- Use small amounts of salt during cooking
- Limit consumption of foods preserved in salt or processed (cured meats, cheeses, potatoes, etc.)
- Limit consumption of packaged foods
- Enhance the flavour of foods with spices, lemon or traditional/balsamic vinegar
- If you like fruit, you can eat it in place of savoury foods as a snack.
Sodium is a mineral that is essential for the body, so there should be no deficiencies that could have significant side effects, like:
- Muscle cramps
- Mental apathy
Foods that cause cellulite: foods in general
Other foods that are not recommended:
- Smoked, grilled or fried foods
- Sweet foods
- Meats and fatty cheeses
- Tinned meats
- Pizza (especially with salamis or cheeses)
- Cured meats and preserved meat in general
None of these foods need to disappear entirely from your diet, but they should be consumed in moderation.
To improve the effectiveness and quality of your diet, just follow a few tips to eliminate foods that cause cellulite.